Cleanse and detox are two concepts that, while related, address their own distinct aspects of wellness. With either, you can dive in as deep as you’re comfortable with! I recommend trying a gentler cleanse before diving into a deep dislodging detox.
What's the Difference Between a Cleanse and a Detox?
Think of a cleanse as a reset button for your body, akin to a gentle spring cleaning for your system. Herbal cleanses typically involve nourishing herbs that support the organs involved in elimination, such as the liver, kidneys, and digestive system. The goal is to promote regularity and optimize the body's natural detoxification processes.
On the other hand, detoxification goes a step further. It involves the removal of accumulated toxins from various bodily systems, including not only the digestive and detox organs but also the blood and lymphatic system. Detox protocols often incorporate herbs with powerful cleansing properties, aiming to eliminate harmful substances and toxins and promote an overall health improvement.
To put it simply, a cleanse focuses on maintaining or promoting optimal functioning of elimination organs, while a detox is a more comprehensive approach, targeting the removal of accumulated toxins from different body systems.
Now, let's explore some herbal companions that are easily accessible, gentle for most and can aid in both cleansing and detoxifying:
- Dandelion Root: Known for its liver-cleansing properties, dandelion root is an excellent choice for those looking to support their liver during a cleanse or detox.
- Milk Thistle: Renowned for its ability to protect liver cells, milk thistle is a staple in detox protocols and is perfect for a daily & gentle regimen.
- Burdock Root: This herb supports kidney function & liver function and is rich in nutrients, making it valuable for both cleansing and detoxification efforts.
- Nettle: Rich in nutrients and minerals, nettle is often included in cleanses to nourish and rejuvenate the body while supporting detoxification.
- Cleavers: For a deeper detoxifying herb that supports the lymphatic system, cleavers is known to be a clean freak and helps your lymph nodes release toxins to be removed by the liver and kidneys.
Remember, the key to a successful cleanse or detox is to approach it mindfully. Listen to your body, stay hydrated, and consider consulting with a qualified herbalist or healthcare professional to tailor a plan that suits your individual needs.
Rebecca Younger is passionate about herbs and women's health. She aspires to plant seeds of inspiration within her community about plant medicine and healthier ways of life. She studied Herbal Medicine at Herbalism Roots in Denver and is a certified Doula through the Matrona Foundation. She is the customer journey lead at WishGarden Herbs.
For educational purposes only. This information has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease, or sell any product.